What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a manual therapy based on acupressure at certain points of the body like the hands, feet, and ears. These areas and reflex points link to different systems and/or body parts, in which pressing on these reflex points provides beneficial effects on the person's general health. Reflexology is not a cure to any specific health disorder but instead is an alternative treatment that can help aid a certain condition’s improvement.
To understand this concept a little better, on the left is a diagram of the different reflex zones and the bodily organ they are associated with.
Let’s talk about the benefits
Reflexology is an alternative treatment for a wide variety of conditions, as mentioned above, and has been used for thousands of years.
- Nerve Function: Nerve endings become less sensitive as we age. Reflexology increases their function and reactivity. It opens and cleans out their pathways in order to help improve their functionality.
- Energy Levels: Reflexology increases a person’s metabolism and creation of energy within the body.
- Circulation: This is said to be one of the most well-known benefits of reflexology since blood and oxygen are effectively being spread through the body. When more oxygen and blood reaches one’s organs their function is enhanced. This also means cells can now re-grow at a quicker pace and heal wounds faster.
- Relaxation: Reflexology also helps with the release of stress. For example, insomnia, anxiety, nervous system problems, etc. are all related to stress. Reflexology is a therapeutic technique that can help release accumulated emotional tension and reduce anxiety to promote a state of well being. It may also regulate one’s sleep, in order to provide a more profound rest.
- Toxin Removal: Reflexology can improve bladder function and to reduce urinary tract issues and can therefore cleanse the body of toxins at a more effective pace in order to shield it from various diseases and health conditions.
- Pregnancy and Menstruation: Studies reveal that reflexology can be advantageous for pregnant women. It can lessen the odds of post-partum depression and can also assist a woman’s body to heal itself more quickly in order to return to its original metabolic rate.