Nutrition has been described as the relationship between diet and health. It has also been said that nutrition is the fuel for the entire body. The food we eat provides fuel for our bodies and from this food that we are made. Let’s just simplify it because our cells are made from what we eat. Skin cells, brain cells, hormones, every part of the body are carefully constructed from the food we eat.
Optimum nutrition provides the body with the correct balance of protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins and minerals needed for growth and repair.
No matter how you define nutrition on paper, a few key concepts need to be taken into consideration:
- Even the best diet, when undigested, becomes toxins the body must eliminate.
- When food enters the body, it will be digested small enough to nourish the cells or it will become waste.
- Once a food is deemed unusable waste by the body, it must be stored or eliminated. This through the bowels, urine, respiratory system or skin. If you are not able to perform the task, the others must pick up that extra work load.
Hippocrates is often referred to as the father of medicine. “Medicine should do no harm” and “Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food”. Because of the quick-fix pharmaceutical mentality, drugs and their risks are readily accepted, in fact sought out. You know the type: one pill daily, easy to swallow, tastes good, and covered by insurance. This pharmaceutical thinking has allowed medicine to stray far from the roots of Hippocrates.
Today billions and billions of dollars are spent every year in medicine. The question is why do we need medicine? Perhaps looking at the way we nourish our bodies will help. Are we Americans malnourished?
There are two types of nutrient deficiency:
- A primary nutrient deficiency occurs when the body is not given a specific nutrient, in other words you never eat that type of food.
- A secondary nutrient deficiency occurs when you fail to absorb or utilize the nutrient. Basically you ate it but can’t absorb it and never made to the cell level.
- This can be because another key nutrient is missing, for example vitamins B9 and B12 are needed to utilize iron.
- Perhaps you need to improve digestion with Digestive Enzymes to be able to utilize the nutrient
- Maybe another nutrient carries the first nutrient, like fat being needed for transport of vitamins A, E, D or K.
What to expect from your consultation:
The initial consultation takes about an hour. You will complete an intake form and Dr. Regina Oyarce will go over the intake with you.
You will work together with Dr. Oyarce in formulating a personalized nutritional plan taking into account your lifestyle, tastes and needs. She will provide a booklet with step-by-step nutritional guides you can follow at home.
When available she will use a complete blood test, run into her software and give supplemental recommendations according to your blood chemistry.
A personalized supplement program may also be recommended to correct any imbalances or deficiencies, but remember that these are supplementing a balanced diet and are not designed as a replacement.
Throughout the consultation you are free to ask questions. This is your time to clarify anything that you are unsure about. It is usually suggested that you attend a follow-up consultation 2 to 4 weeks later to assess your progress, discuss any feedback or changes or review results.
Remember that it may have taken months or years for your health to decline or for symptoms to present, so don’t expect overnight results, but with patience and support you can expect to feel the results. Generally speaking you should give a minimal of 3 months for your body to go back to homeostasis.
Benessere Miami is located in Doral, Florida and serves the surrounding areas of Hialeah, Pembroke Pines, Medley, Fountainebleau, and Miami. Established and run by Regina Oyarce, Benessere Miami provides a variety of services for wellness, relaxation, and holistic traditional medicine, focusing on Oriental Medicine. Regina Oyarce is a Doctor of Oriental Medicine (DOM), and licensed in the state of Florida as an Acupuncture Physician. Regina is also a Health Care Practitioner, Licensed Massage Therapist, Licensed Esthetician, and Certified Natural Health Provider. Benessere Miami provides the following wellness and therapeutic services:Hydrafacial, Acupuncture, Acupuncture for Kids, Acupressure, Massage Therapy, Deep Tissue Massage, Swedish massage, Therapeutic Massage, Iridology, Nutrition Consultations, and Chinese Herb Supplements. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact Benessere Miami at 305-599-0770.